The Dangers of Water Damage in Your Home
SERVPRO of East Davie/Cooper City wants to help our community understand the dangers of water damage to your home. Flooding can be caused by a variety of things from natural disasters to dishwasher leaks or washing machine leaks. Regardless of how a water damage situation occurs, handing the situation in a timely manner is the key to prevent serious destruction to your home.
The initial step in preventing this type of harm to your home is in the recognition of water damage in the first place. In some cases, water damage is quite obvious and easy to spot. In other cases, however, water in your home is rather subtle and may begin to cause damage before it is even recognized. As such, look out for the following signs of water damage in your home:
- Look for stains on the walls, ceilings, and window/door frames
- Check drywall for cracks
- Look at the floors for buckling or warping as well as dark spots on wood floors
- Feel around for damp carpeting
- Smell for odors of dampness or mold/musk
- Check areas where paint is peeling
- Look out for mold spores which often appear as discoloration
- Check around the pipes in the bathrooms, kitchen, and laundry room for leaks or water stains
- Monitor the home’s exterior looking for damaged roofing and standing water outside of the home – the home should be the highest point of your property as the ground should appear downward from the house
If you suspect water has caused damage to your home, call SERVPRO of East Davie/Cooper City at 954-741-4321 and one of our IICRC Certified Technicians will help you address your concerns and provide a course of action to prevent further damage and mitigate the problem.